Are you just about to start blogging for the first time? Then you might Have a question that which one is better? Blogger or WordPress? Let me help you to choose the right platform for you. Read the below article on “Blogger vs WordPress”.
If you are a fresher and want to know about the difference between blogger and WordPress then you are in the right place! Here I am, with a comparison of ‘Blogger vs WordPress’. Just read below article till the end and you will be able to make a right decision.
Note: This comparison is between Blogger vs WordPress.org (Free open source CMS platform). To know the difference between Wordrpess.com and WordPress.org, read the article "WordPress.com vs WordPress.org"
Blogger vs WordPress:
In Blogger, Google will host your website while in WordPress, you are free to choose the host for your website according to your needs. Now, let’s understand the difference between Blogger and WordPress in brief.
Blogger is blog-publishing service that allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It was launched by Pyra Labs on August 23, 1999, which was bought by Google in 2003. The blogs are hosted by Google and generally accessed from a subdomain ‘blogspot.com’ (i.e example.blogspot.com). You can also use your own custom domain (i.e www.example.com). A user can have 100 blogs per account. (In case if you don’t know, 100 blogs means 100 subdomains, not just 100 posts! ).
Now, let’s check out pros and cons of blogger to better understand it.
- There are no limits of posts per blog. We can post unlimited articles in a single blog.
- It provides monetization facility with google adsense.
- There is no need to pay extra attention to the security of your website as Google itself will take care of it for you.
- You don’t have to put extra effort on Search Engine Optimization because Google will automatically crawl your website and also index your website.
- If you are ok with the subdomain (example.blogspot.com) then there is nothing to pay. It’s free. You have to pay only if you want a custom domain.
- In a single Google account, we can create the maximum of 100 blogs. Wait…Why is it in ‘pro” section though it has a limit?! Because it’s like having 100 websites with only a single hosting. That’s more than enough in most cases!
- Blogger provides only one permalink structure i.e [Website]/[Date]/[Post]. We can’t change this structure!
- The size of pages (main pages and other pages) in blogger is limited to 1 MB (It may vary).
- Blogger provides customization options but in comparison to WordPress, it’s very limited.
- Blogger provides 1 GB of image storage space. If you create an account in google drive or google plus, you will get 15 GB of space to store images and documents.
- Blogger can suspend your website or even whole account if it finds that you are violating their terms of services without even informing you!
- You can create only 20 stand-alone pages per blog.
WordPress was released on May 27, 2003, by its founders, Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little, as a fork of b2/cafelog. There are no restrictions in WordPress as far as you don’t do any illegal activity and it’s also free and open source content management system(CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. The only real cost is web hosting and domain.
With WordPress, you have full control of your website. You are free to do anything you want and customize it as much as you need. Here are some of the pros and cons to help you decide whether WordPress is a good choice to build your website or not.
- It’s open source software. So anyone can use, study, change and redistribute its source code.
- User-friendly content management system(CMS)
- You host your website which means you are the real owner of your site and no one can remove or make changes to your site without your permission.
- You can monetize your site.
- It has plenty of free as well as paid plugins and themes.
- There are unlimited possibilities of customizing themes by CSS, HTML and PHP code modification.
- The software is free to install but you have to pay for hosting service and domain for your site.
- Speed and performance of site depend upon the hosting service you choose.
- You have to take care of security, updates, and backups by yourself.
- WordPress sites are vulnerable. It means these sites can be easily hacked if you don’t pay attention to the security of your site.
Comparison Table: Blogger vs WordPress
|Host||You are free to choose|
|Hosting cost||Free||$45 to $100 per year|
|Domain||Subdomain is provided. You can buy and set custom domain||You have to buy a custom domain|
|Customization||Limited compared to WordPress||Unlimited. You can customize your website as much as you want|
|Themes & Plugins||Limited compared to WordPress||Tens of Thousands of paid as well as free Themes and Plugins|
From above article and comparison table, it’s clear that in terms of features and customization, WordPress is better than Blogger. But is it compulsory to choose WordPress over Blogger? Not necessarily! It depends upon your current situation and your passion for blogging.
If you are a student and can’t afford money for hosting services or want to make a blog for just fun which is lightweight and doesn’t require many resources then Blogger is the right choice for you. There is no need to pay anything. Why would you pay for hosting and other things if you can get it from Google for free! But if you are very serious and passionate about blogging and/or there are chances for your website to be heavyweight (May contain large media files) and also, you can afford some money for hosting service and domain name then WordPress is the best choice for you.
Now what, if you are not able to start with WordPress right now due to some reasons and using Blogger right now but would like to switch to WordPress in future? Don’t worry! You can move to WordPress from Blogger. So, just start blogging without any worries and explore yourself!
I hope this “Blogger vs WordPress” article helped you to better understand the difference between Blogger and WordPress. Still, if you have any query related to this topic, feel free to comment down below. I would like to help you.
Let me know your review by comments and also share it on social media with your friends.